02 May 2010

This was our backyard last weekend:


This was our backyard yesterday:

Yes, we're being hit HARD by the flash flooding in Middle Tennessee.
We've had about 15" of rainfall so far, and the river behind our house - and it's strong current - has now entered our backyard.


We realized how serious things were when Oliver's sand box toys were floating away and I had to fight the current and the deluge rains to retrieve what I could. See the sandbox lid on the left side of that photo above? It made for an excellent raft as it tried to float away!

This is when things started to get going yesterday:

The water level got quite a lot higher before it got better.


This is the highest photo I have. Taken with my cell phone:
(You can see Oliver's swings and slide floating)

Our street wasn't as bad since it was a bit higher elevation, but it was still flooded.


Here's our yard and our neighbor's yard. That whole fenced area was flooded.
Oliver woke up from his nap to this sight and was totally delighted.


So was Scout.


Once yesterday's rains started to recede, Ry and Oliver played fetch with Scout in the "river".


Things got better overnight, but the rains started hitting hard again today.
We dropped the kids off at my Mom's house (thanks again, Mama!) and walked downtown to check out the situation. For anyone familiar with downtown Franklin, this is the diveway into Pinkerton Park:



This is the intersection of Hillsboro and Bridge/96 at Bank of America. That's not traffic, it's the evacuation of cars from the new and used car lots by Sonic that are completely flooded. (If you click on the photo it's bigger and easier to see). There was water pouring out of these trucks as they were driven up out of the water and some cars were completely underwater. (One car could only be seen because it's trunk was open, sticking up out of the water.)


In the photo below is Sonic (on the right) and
City Cemetary (completely underwater on the left). See the street sign and stop sign?



As I type the rain is pouring down again. Our backyard is a river again - thank the Lord the waters haven't risen enough to reach our house yet! Friends of ours downtown have basements full of water and others have had to evacuate all together.


Please pray for Franklin and Nashville and the surrounding areas as we wait out the rains and try our best to stay dry and help our brothers and sisters who have been less fortunate. For many in our area, this is more than a close call.

23 comments:

Jaimie said...

I came across your blog through my friend Corrina - I have friends that live in Nashville, so this gives me an idea of what you all have been going through. CRAZY!! As a Californian that seems almost fun to me, but I'm sure not for you guys!! Hang in there, and I will pray that the rain will let up!

Melanie Eccles said...

wow, Raechel! I'll be praying for you guys and your city! That's some INTENSE flooding! May waters recess quickly!

Christine said...

Rae, we are sitting here looking at your photos, amazed. Steve said it's "creepy." Yes, well said. You (and Nashville!) are in our prayers! I hope your kitchen stays dry!

Brooke said...

Pretty much my entire family lives in franklin, governers club, and off concord rd. I have been praying hard for everyone in the area since yesterday! I can only imagine. Glad that Oliver was able to see the fun in such crazy weather!

Erin said...

I can not believe that! That is so much water! I hope it goes down soon. I love seeing all the pictures and I love that Oliver loved it! I also love your yellow rain jacket :)

Melanie said...

Wow, Raechel, I'm just blown away by the pictures I've seen coming out of Franklin! Your pictures of Pinkerton and the by Sonic are particularly impressive and give a good perspective on how much water there really is. Plus you and Rebecca are so cute in your matching rain gear. :) Praying that everyone stays safe and it's over soon.

Jennifer Bovee said...

WOW! That is crazy! My aunt and uncle live in Hendersonville so we have been hearing reports from them as well. They are okay for now thankfully. Praying that the water stays from your beautiful home and that your family(ies) stay safe!!

Denise said...

We had the same problem a few years ago but it was much worse, or at least at this point, we lost everything. Everything in our house,both cars (one was brand new). Something we didnt think about at the time but found out later was to stay out of the water...so I'll share this with you..please stay out of the water! When the water is that high it is very possable that the sewer systems are backing up and those with septic tanks could be leaking, or even floating by this time. Also keep an eye out for wildlife that could be in the water, and then left displaced when the water starts to go down....(snakes) especially if the water either rises fast or receeds fast... also you said the cemetary was flooded...so to break it down...diseases and critters could be in there...eweee

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I will keep you all in my prayers. But please stay home and out of the way of others who are helping and don't play in the disgusting water!

Melissa said...

Those are some incredible pictures! You poor thing being out there gathering up your baby boy's toys!! Such a mama :) My second baby girl was born this past December and we had a record breaking winter here in MD. She lived thru 3 blizzards before she turned two months. Most snow ever on record in MD. I documented all of it for her to see someday and took lots of pics! It was surreal & it reminded me of that when I read what you are dealing with now.
Prayers!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Oh my goodness! I have friends in that area, but haven't seen pictures yet. Stay safe! I hope the water recedes soon!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family. Stay safe :)

Chelsa said...

that's just crazy! my cousin lives in near nashville (antioch) and she said on saturday she went to the mall and almost didn't make it home! your pictures sure put things in perspective- thanks for sharing.

Brooke said...

Praying for you guys! We saw it as well in east TN but not that bad. Some pics are up on my blog from what we saw on Sat. Hope things are better today!

Anonymous said...

I knew those yellow rain slickers were a great buy! Glad to see them being used after all these years. You girls are so cute! Mom

Heather said...

Oh my. What a mess you all have there. I will be praying to the rain to end.

Molly @ Me and Madeline said...

Unbelievable! Glad you guys are safe!

nic said...

oh wow. i'm asking God to keep you all dry and safe and happy in the middle of this deluge. (do you need anything? let me know if we can send some love your way.)

Betty said...

Hi Raechel. I found your blog in a friend's blog. My cousin lives in Nashville and Im praying for you and your family... Everything is ok with your house?.

Betty.

Michelle said...

OMG, that is so scary. I can't believe how close the water is to your house. I hope the rain stops and the water starts receeding.

Praying for you guys and all effected.

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

Hello! :) I just wanted to share this link with you! You may have already saw it but I know you are around this area! I am from TN also, Lawrence County actually...which is about an hour and a half south of Nashville :) These shirts are to help the victims of the flood!

http://nashvilleflood.myshopify.com/collections/all

Marcella said...

Hoping that you guys continued to have a dry home during the flooding. Praying for Nashville and surrounding area. It is truly heartbreaking.
Marcella
MrsTim6_3_00@hotmail.com