02 June 2010

**Update: Since you all asked about my necklaces... the metal one is a Lisa Leonard oval monogram necklace and the long, colorful one is from Light Gives Heat (a humanitarian organization that is working to empower Africans to sustain themselves economically and creatively) and was a gift from my sweet friend Mis.

It's a Suubi Necklace - paper beads hand-rolled by Ugandan women. They make all kinds of beautiful necklace styles (I love the shamrock!), but the Classic (the one I'm wearing) is great because of it's versatility (you can wear it long, doubled, tripled, knotted, around your wrist as a bracelet, etc.). I'm glad you all like it! You can buy one here. :)

Oh yeah, and to answer Julie's question, Hazel's bow is actually an alligator clip with a little no-slip grip in it. I (optimistically) bought a handful of bows for her here before she was born and specially requested the optional extra grip. (I think it's just made from cabinet liners).

And yes, I've heard KY Jelly works well to stick little ribbon bows to beautiful bald baby heads. Elmer's Glue will do the trick too - it's water soluble!

_____________________________________________
**Original post**

I'm working on a blog switch-a-roo. Well, maybe more like a summer face-lift, but it's taking my focus right now.

That and my sweet blonde babes.

Can you get enough of this sweet little lady (who's only been with us for 11 short weeks,
but already feels like she's been a part of us for a lifetime!)??

Photobucket

And how about this dress?
Wanna know how to make it??

Just cut a rectangle of lightweight fabric (you decide the length, and have the width be enough to go around your babe's body 1 1/2-2 times).
Stitch the short ends together.
Hem the bottom and run a gathering stitch around the top.
Stitch the gathered end upside down around the chest of a onesie you like, flip it down and topstitch.

Voila! You get the benefits of a onesie (doesn't ride up) with the style of a hip dress.

Don't forget to accessorize with a pair of leggings and a hair bow that is holding on for dear life!

(Oh, and I used a long-sleeved onesie, snipped and rolled the sleeves for a touch of interest.)


Photobucket

I hope this made some sense to you...

Happy Wednesday, friend!

Now, off to water my flowers...

16 comments:

Marisa said...

Two precious, pretty girls right there. Love it, Miss Raechel.

Ah, these pictures of you both make my heart smile today. A sweet reminder that our God is so good.

Blessings, friend.

Much love,
Mis

Amy said...

Love the pictures. . .love the dress. . .do tell. . .where did your neclace come from? I MUST get one!!!

Be Blessed!

Amy

Julie B said...

Ok. Your kids are precious and I've been reading your blog for a couple years. Last week, I was in Nashville (stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Vanderbilt) and thought of you while I was there. Kept thinking I might see you out somewhere (Green Hills Mall, etc:)

Anyway, I HAVE to know -- what IS holding that bow in her hair?! And did you know (you probably did) that if you get some thin ribbon and tie it in a small bow, you can "attach" it with KY Jelly?! Just a thought for those blonde baby girls.

Julie in East Tennessee

NathanaelAndHeather said...

Oh my! I love that little dress! My sweet girl is twelve weeks old and would look adorable in one. So, I guess, I will be digging my sewing machine out of storage...

Julie B said...

I meant..."those blonde, BALD, baby girls" :) And I know, because I had one.

Claire Wise Photography said...

Oh.My. I might have to call in a breadcrumb ;)

Leigh said...

Hazel is precious, and her dress is so cute and stylish! but i am really loving your ugandan paper bead necklace!!!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat said...

On Sunday, I had the perfect view of a precious moment from the worship corner. As George placed his hand on Hazel's head and prayed for her, your sweet Oliver gently placed his hand on her head as well and patted it a few times. Too adorable!

Erin said...

oh my goodness she is so cute and I love her round little face! She is soooo cute and her complexion is perfect!

Can't wait to see the switch, I am trying to make a photography/website blog!!

Patti said...

You are both beautiful! Love the dress idea. So SO creative!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

She's adorable! Love the outfit!

Susan Graham said...

she is just lovely and Alice would like to know if they can have a play date once she gets the whole "holding up her head thing" worked out. :)

Kameron said...

Did you do the patchwork on the dress or did the fabric come that way? If so, what fabric is it?? I love it!

jane said...

my question is the same as Kameron's... wondering if you did the piecing yourself. It's so adorable. Thanks for the great idea!!

Mockabee Seven said...

Yay, must try this...what a doll you have...and love the new look!

Emily said...

Adorable! I love your colors too! I made these when my little girl was much littler. Saw your photo on pinterest... adorable all around! :)