05 February 2011

I don't know why I'm always so terrified to go with my gut on things, but without fail, I'm usually a nervous wreck on my way home from the paint store.

I mentioned earlier this week when I gave you a peek at my sewing room that it was in desperate need of a paint color reevaluation. Well, I'm not really one to let a lot of moss grow on an idea (or however that saying goes, I'm terrible at idioms), so by Thursday I was in full-out, this-is-going-to-have-to-happen-now mode.

I knew that I wanted to tone things down a lot. (remember the nearly gold color it was before because it was previously a guest room?) I thought I'd like to go with a light grey or even an ever-so-slightly tinted white. Something that would really lighten the mood in there. But, sucker for color that I am, I also wanted something pretty and exciting in there too.

What's more exciting than pink? Straight-up, creamy, yet in-your-face pink. With a hint of orangey-red added for tonal purposes, of course.

I chose a color at home from my handy Martha Stewart palette folder thingy, but I knew I'd want to take a look at all of my pink options once I made it to the hardware store. Man, nothing like choosing a color that you've never actually seen in your own room's lighting to make you want to pee your pants a little (almost wrote "pee your paints" here on accident, that would have been funnier).

I painted yesterday afternoon with my trusty 4-year-old encourager. He sat at a safe distance, so excited to see bright pink paint streaking a stark white wall (you'd better believe I primed the heck out of that mustard color!). He loves to watch me paint. And sometimes, when I'm feeling uber relaxed and fun, I let him roll a couple of streaks himself. Especially when I'm planning to tear up the carpet soon anyway.

Anyway, I knocked out the brunt of the work yesterday with just a few follow-up strokes needed today. Y'all, I am in love. I feel so happy and chipper and inspired to make great things in this room!

Wanna see?

Here's the before:

Photobucket

And the after:

Photobucket

I mean, obviously everything is currently shoved into the center of the room. But that color! Mmm, that color. I love it. Wouldn't it be fun to switch out the ceiling fan for a pretty, girly chandelier or something? I have some ideas for a window treatment and I have a new ironing board cover on the way from this cute little Etsy shop (mine was seriously 8-years-and-couting disgusting).

Anyway, just wanted to share my pretty color joy!

And in case you're curious, the paint colors are:
Watermelon Pink, Behr, Home Depot
Spring Melt MSL 114, Martha Stewart Living, Home Depot

36 comments:

Audrey said...

AHH! It looks fantastic!! Awww that room just got so cute and friendly. I love it!

Amy said...

Wow! Looks awesome! You are totally brave!!! I don't know if I could pull that off in my house full of boys!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Fun color! I so want to paint our walls, but we rent. So I am living vicariously through you! Beautiful!

Kate said...

That is the most perfect pink! It would be so cute in a girly girls room as well.

Jen said...

Oliver's right! That IS delicious!

Raechel said...

Kate-
I thought about that too! This is the room that will eventually be Hazel's once she's older. With any luck, we'll be able to get her started with these colors.

But who am I kidding, I can't pass up a good excuse to switch things up. :)

-R

Sarah Robbins said...

It looks SO great! I have a desk in my girly room that is painted that exact same watermelon pink. I love that shade!

Nicole said...

I think it looks great! Makes me want to eat some bubble gum!

A girly chandelier would really set it off, I think that's an excellent idea!

Janna said...

WOW! Love it!

I don't know if you have an Ikea close by, but they have a really inexpensive, gorgeous chandelier that I really want to buy everytime I go there. The only reason I haven't is because my husband doesn't like them...sigh!

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

Love the color, so fun and it pops!

Jessica said...

I love it!!! So girly!

Melissa S said...

OMG, I *love* that!!!!!!

Christine said...

I think "Watermelon" is the BEST description for that color. It's really great!!

hundor!

Kristie said...

LOVE it!!! That is a fabulous color! Yay for pink!

NathanaelAndHeather said...

That's an inspiring color! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love it!
Laurie

Unknown said...

love it! :)

Chelsa said...

i'm in love!!!!
when we FINALLy get this house built and moved into (about 2 months). I'm finally getting my craft room in our new finished basement and i'm totally going w/ this! LOVE IT!
thanks for the inspiration!

Rebecca said...

Awesome color girl!

Ashley said...

I LOVE IT! I am so jealous of your special little space to create! My current sewing/craft area is at my dining room table and it is a MESS!

Andrea said...

LOVE the color - especially when the outside world is wearing it's subdues colors of greys, whites and browns. Can't wait to see it all put together. :)

Melissa Vines said...

How fun! You're so brave I never would have thought of that color but I love it! I second the idea of a pretty chandelier!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

fun i love that color!

Anonymous said...

lovely! and weirdly, that's the exact color we painted an armoire my husband built for all the kids' games over the summer! (have you checked out ana-white.com?? she has FREE plans for furniture from pottery barn, west elm, etc. and she's local to me!). I lined the doors with a retro-y circus fabric and added green sea glass handles, and i LOVE it! I did want a bright pink, but picked that exact one because of the name :). Yours looks great on the wall!

C

Raechel said...

C - You know it's totally not fair to tell us all about this gorgeous armoire and not share a link or photos!! :) PLEEEEASE, will you share?? It sounds gorgeous!

Also, thanks for the link - checking it out now!

-R

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. Love it. Great choice. :)

efran said...

Looking good!
Did you know that a very, very close shade of pink was named the Pantone color of the Year for 2011?
http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/Pantone.aspx?pg=20821&ca=4
How fun is that!?

DeborahRobson said...

I love the color and I love your big white work table!

Tracy said...

oh, yum!

Raechel said...

efran - you know, I actually did know that at one point (when they announced it) and then totally forgot about. Or at least consciously forgot about it. Maybe that played into my decision, because you're right - it's SO close! I just pulled the Pantone site up on my laptop and the wall is right behind my screen and the colors look identical. So funny! Well, I guess that's a good sign, right?! :)

Sarah-Anne said...

love it! 4 year old helpers are awesome, no?
Sarah-Anne

Kristen516 said...

I love the color...I'm even more impressed that you were able to paint with Oliver and Hazel there with you. I can't get anything done with my 6 and 4 year olds around.

When we finish our basement I want to paint at least one wall a tangerine color. Not sure I can convince DH of that.

Great job.

So many Ideas not enough Time said...

Love the color!! so great for inspiring creativity!
I was wondering if you could tell me about your cutting/craft table. I LOVE it and need something like it but don't know what to search for. Is it just the storage boxes on the corners and the table top or did it all come as a set? And where did you get it?
Thank you
Jenn

Sdlgillikin said...

LOVE the color!!! I am envious that you have a sewing room, I could get so much more done if I had the space...

TDM Wendy said...

Lovin't that pink. Makes me wanna dance.

Anonymous said...

I love your big white craft table! Where did you find it?