15 March 2010

Starting to get a little nostalgic today about being pregnant, so I thought I'd put together a quick list:


The 10 Best Things About Being Pregnant:
  1. Auto-feedings via that lovely umbilical cord. Even in the middle of the night, Hazel is fed while I sleep!
  2. Although I look forward to hearing that sweet cry for the first time, right now I can enjoy these last few days of quiet. Everyone here is reasonable and consolable (well, for the most part - Ryan might tell you differently, I do have my low moments...)
  3. Among the best doggone feelings in the whole world is the feeling of your baby moving inside of you. It's wonderful. And, when it's over, it's one of the things I miss the most about pregnancy.
  4. I always have a handy platform to set my cup or cereal bowl. I even enjoyed a hands-free milkshake the other day courtesy of my great big tum. That is, until Hazel decided it was cramping her style and kicked it off. It's even a great place to set your razor while you're in the shower!
  5. I can work in my sewing room pretty freely now, with Oliver happily playing knights or working puzzles on the floor. I guess just the general freedom of being the parent of an independent, potty-trained 3-year-old is nice. Once a new baby joins us, the dynamic will be much different.
  6. You never have to worry about getting a seat while waiting to eat at a restaurant or if the church service is full. Folks take one look at you and give you their seat with a grin (or is that a look of pity? Hard to tell...)
  7. The dreaming and all the possibilities. I know that sounds sort of cheesy, but a new baby on the way is such a fun time for imagining!
  8. When sleep can be accomplished (and it can't always...), it's yours for the taking. There's no one waking me up or needing me right now.
  9. Picking out names (Ry's favorite!)
  10. The look of panic on peoples' faces when they ask you when you're due and you say, "Yesterday".
That's all I've got for now! What are your favorite things about being pregnant?
What do you look forward to? What do you miss?

19 comments:

Mary Michal said...

I just LOVE number 8. Too funny!

Brookeanne said...

Everything except for the worry. The clothes, the change in my figure, the connection, the wonder, finding out the gender... I definitely love it as well. But we're going to wait a couple of years before number 4 :), even though I do love it so much.

Chatty Cricket said...

agreed about feeling the baby move. and the imagining. I love to imagine who the baby will look like. will he look like his sibs at all? where will I have seen those little ears before, on his grandpa?

new babies: so much possibility.

I'm LAUGHING over the handy shelf! I am going to try the razor trick in the shower. ;)

FEEL WELL, I am very excited to hear about little Hazel's arrival!!

Melissa said...

Anticipation in the last part of the pregnancy, it's the best time!! (wondering how labor will go, when his/her birthday will be, what the beginning of the story of their life will be, etc). Sharing the pregnancy (esp. the end) with my husband. Feeling like a walking miracle. Agree with #4 I called it my "snack tray". Just overall being pregnant and being doted on. Feeling the baby move. I miss it terribly when I am not pregnant (and I have a newborn!)
And don't worry about #5 (having time for sewing). I was worried too before my second was born (I love to scrapbook) but babies sleep a lot. It's easy to forget that w/ an energetic toddler in the house. Set up the swing or bouncy seat in your sewing room and you'll have more time to sew than you think you will :)

Hannah said...

I've never been pregnant. My husband and I are thinking and praying about trying soon. I just can't wait to get all the questions about when are you due? What are you having? And really getting to wear cute prego clothes and making sweet baby stuff. I can't imagine what it feels like to having a HUMAN growing inside of me, I'm looking forward to finding out:) I also can't wait to experience the excitment of welcoming a new life into our family. I just can't wait to be a mom. congrats on HAZEL!!!

Amy said...

I always feel so confident in my looks when I'm pregnant... it's the only time when having a big belly is acceptable. :) Then, when the baby is out, I feel like a deflated balloon and I realize that I can't eat half of the stuff I ate before.

Amy Prikazsky said...

I just love this! I love the you always have a place to set a cup or plate! Lol! I’ve never been pregnant but hope to be one day!
Hope you have a great Monday!

BARBIE said...

I love this post. It's been a long while since I've been pregnant. I too loved the built in shelf. My kids always managed to knock drinks off of there. I loved watching my babies move inside me (even though at times it made my belly look like something out of "Alien". I did love being dotted on by hubby during those times too! Although I had 4 difficult pregnancies, I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Rachel C said...

1. Expectant mom parking!!! It really came in handy last time with a bigger belly than ever before and two toddlers!
2. Feeling baby movement
3. Either keeping the sex and name a surprise from everyone else like we did with the first two, or keeping it a surprise for everyone, including us (like we did with #3).
4. Keeping their induction dates a secret/surprise.
5.the anticipation

Pink Slippers said...

I love that when I am in the last couple months I don't have to bend over to pick up the food I've swept off the floor. My husband always tells me to go sit and relax so I don't have to bend over. Nice.
Mommy to 7. 9 and under.
And one more in the Fall.

Sherri @ Luv a Bargain said...

I'm with you on #8! That's the advice I give to all new moms. Sleep more because it's getting ready to change for years to come :)

Oh...and today would be a great day for baby girl to come....it's my birthday too!

Nicole said...

#1 is great isn't it?! Well they all are:)
Hopefully , you'll meet your new princess soon!
Blessings:)

Chelsa said...

we thought we would be done after corbin just b/c of the dangers to me with my tendenancy to HELLP syndrome and pre-eclampsia, but now after he is here, we don't think we are done :) i miss all these things about being pregnant already!! (although, after being pregnant for 2 straight years, i feel the need for a couple years of having my body to myself!)

Tracy said...

Isaac is only 3 mths old (today!) and I already miss feeling him move inside of me. Its amazing how connected you feel when they do their little rolls and turns in there. <3

Keira said...

I am pregnant with baby numebr 1, and have just started to feel it move now which was the strangest but most beautiful feeling. I think about the baby CONSTANTLY, names, what it will look like, what its little personality will be like, who it will take after. Its a bit of an addiction and I love it!

I cant wait to meet our little baby and have so enjoyed reading your blog throughout your pregnancy :-) If I didnt live in australia my baby would has so much of your goregous etsy clothing/accessories!!

Fingers crossed we get to meet baby Hazel veyr soon!

Lindsayb-mo said...

I love this post. My little guy is now 5 1/2 months and I still miss him moving in my tummy. Time goes by so quickly...

M.O.T.B said...

I miss the excitement of anticipation.

Mockabee Seven said...

Aye, good for you for being positive...every day after is like an entire month! :-)

As you know, the castor oil did work for me!

Can't wait to hear the news!

Oh, and I'm in no shape to tell you what's positive about being pregnant... every day I'm thankful I'm not! :-)

Brittanie said...

I can really say that the only thing I enjoy about being pregnant is feeling my baby move. I'm so incredibly sick the entire time that I can't really physically enjoy it. And anxiety doesn't allow me to enjoy it emotionally most of the time. But when the baby is active...that brings a respite of peace and I can just sit and enjoy it.

I hope she makes her appearance soon! My birthday's on Sunday, and I hope she arrives before that!