05 March 2010


Oliver asked his Daddy to bring the hourglass off the mantle the other day so he could watch the sand go through it. Then he asked for a chair so he could get as close to it as possible without touching it (a strict rule!). As he watched it go through the tiny hole Oliver told me he was imagining the sparkly white sand was snow.

Ah, the world through the eyes of a 3-year-old! Simple pleasures. Big imaginations. Finding great joy in the things we walk past on our mantle every day.

You're only 3 once. So why not enjoy it!?

______________________________________________

In baby news: we too feel a bit like we're sitting around, just watching an hourglass these days. These are waiting days. Loooong waiting days.

We had a very hard night on Wednesday. I was having contractions and feeling pretty achy all afternoon and by 7:00 they were regularly 3-5 minutes apart and were increasing in frequency, intensity and duration. (And by intensity, I mean I was suddenly reminded: "Oh yeah, THAT's what labor feels like. Ouuuuuuch!") We were in labor mode - made final additions to our hospital bag, called our labor support to make sure they were ready when we needed them and getting really excited that we were going to have our baby SOON!

But then it stopped. After 4 hours of good, intense, regular contractions, it all just went away and we fell asleep exhausted.

I'll be honest: that shook us pretty badly. Experiencing a night of labor and waking up in the morning without a baby in our arms was a little too painfully familiar. A little too close to home.

The good news (and the BIG difference) is that we do still have a baby to show for it. She's still here and doing great (and making me feel VERY big and uncomfortable today).

I guess false labor happens, but it doesn't mean that real labor won't eventually happen too. We're just hoping that next time my contractions get as strong and regular as that, they won't stop! I'm SO ready to meet this girl!

Until then, we feel a bit like Oliver - just watching that hourglass. And, trying to remember that even these days are gifts. They're the last days we'll have as a family of just three. Our dynamic is about to change in a big way!

Oliver has the right idea. We're remembering find delight in each sand that goes through the tiny hole. There is beauty in the sand on top and the sand on the bottom for sure; but the process is beauty all in it's own!

10 days and counting! trying to make each one count!

18 comments:

Erin said...

you hadn't posted or been on twitter lately, I thought she for sure was here!! Have been thinking about you! Hope she comes soon :)

Rebecca said...

Oliver sure loves snow.

Corrina said...

When you are in the midst of it, you want time to go faster...but looking back on those last few days of pregnancy, you wish you would have cherished it more. Take lots of pic's of that beautiful belly!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying that everything goes smoothly.
Enjoy the last days of being pregnant!

Della said...

Thinking of you. Enjoy the "calm"!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you honey, you're on the home stretch now xxxx

Marisa said...

Soon! :) Praying for you all while you wait and anticipate. Can't wait to rejoice with you. Hang in there, girl!

Amy Prikazsky said...

Oliver is so cute! I just love this picture of him watching the sand! So precious!

Praying for you...Hope Hazel Wren comes soon:)

amy[www.theprikazskys.com]

Sandy said...

I had a night of false labor with my second too. Just think- every contraction you had is still helping move things along a little bit more.

I ended up in full labor less than 48 hours later. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Is this my child who writes so profoundly? A beautiful thought. Mom

Molly @ Me and Madeline said...

I had SO much false labor with Madeline. It started with 8 hours of labor (contractions 5-7 min. apart), 4 days before her due date. I had at least an hour or two of good contractions each day after that (and two false alarm hospital visits!) before she FINALLY arrived - 8 days past my dd. Wow, that's probably not very encouraging. But you're warming up! Even those practice waves bring you closer to your sweet girl! I did a natural birth story series on my blog last year, you might want to check it out for some inspiration!
http://www.momma-molly.com/search/label/Natural%20childbirth

Hilary said...

Cute picture of Oliver...hang in there Hazel will be here before you know it!! I can't wait to see her sweet face :)

Kelly2Plus2 said...

read this miss raechel...while you are waiting. precious story...precious images...precious mama. i think you will enjoy:

http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

Angela said...

Anxiously awaiting news!!! Can't wait. :)

R. Molder said...

I took my daughter to the beach yesterday and she flopped down to stare at the sand, then rolled over and just gazed at the ocean. I thought wow, why do I get so busy I forget to be amazed by the beauty of our world. I hope you have your baby soon!

Nicole said...

great photot :) just remember time is on your side , yes it is!

Brittanie said...

It's sometimes so easy to get impatient, to forget that NOW is the only guaranteed moment you have. I love little children, they see everything so purely. Now is so precious.

I also get that hitting-close-to-home feeling. I hope that real labor happens sooner rather than later, and you get to meet that sweet precious little girl of your face to face!

Pink Slippers said...

I don't think I have ever commented. But I am very excited for you and your family. We just found out we are expecting baby # 8 this fall.
Wendy
Mommy to 7. 9 and under.