16 October 2010

I mentioned in Oliver's birthday post last week that we have been working our way through the alphabet, memorizing a portion of Scripture for each letter. Some of you have asked for more details about what we're doing or what verses we have chosen, so I thought I'd share a little more about this with you.


We are using a book called "My ABC Bible Verses" by Susan Hunt. Each verse is accompanied by a short, very kid-friendly yet theologically sound devotional. Oliver loves them. We just began with letter A, then every night we reviewed our verses and added a letter. It really did only take a month to get through - kids are great at memorizing things!

I managed to sit Oliver down this morning after breakfast to videotape him saying his verses. He's such a boy. He almost focuses better if he's moving around. He insisted on being surrounded by his birthday balloons when we started but it quickly became a distraction. (I cut out a good 60 seconds of him playing whac-a-mole with the balloons. You're welcome.) We had to take another moment to refocus a bit later on which actually cracks me up because he looks so suddenly straight-laced. Love it.

So, here's the clip. I went ahead and shared it in it's entirety, so it's pretty long. There are a few verses that are hard to understand, especially if you don't know which verse you're supposed to be listening for. Also, the first verse ("A soft answer turns away wrath.") got cut off at the beginning somehow. Enjoy my little guy!


"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12

Have a blessed Sabbath!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

okay, seriously, how cool is this! I LOOOVE Oliver! He is so smart! :)

Unknown said...

That is ADORABLE, Raechel! I loved watching that and can't wait to start this with the 4-year-old girl I watch.

Abby in MS said...

So precious!! For your peace of mind, lots of us have silly, unfocused little boys. Yours is absolutely adorable too.

Leigh said...

cutest. ever.

Anonymous said...

Such a cute little man. This is a great idea!

Seagers said...

Thanks! We get our kids 3 gifts for Christmas: one for spiritual growth (I ordered this thanks to you), one necessity and one educational type thing. I can't wait to get this!

Taylor said...

I absolutely love this idea! Your little guy is super cute saying his verses, and he's going to grow into an awesome man of God with all that truth in his heart!

lindsay said...

oh my goodness this made me love your blog even more. i think i originally came for your crafty skills...but stayed for your loved of Jesus. and the practical ways you are sharing God's love and His word with your little boy is amazing. and oliver not wanting to sit still and cooperate with this video request reminded me sooo much of my little boy i was just giggling. blessings to you and your family.