16 June 2011

Okay, y'all are awesome. I'm so excited by the response I am already getting about this meet-up!


I realize that I wasn't super details-heavy about signing up, donating, etc. in my last post (it was already a mile long, - ha! - I didn't want to be too overwhelming) so I'm writing a follow-up FAQ now.

(Side note: I do my best to answer the questions you ask in the comments by leaving another comment. If you ask a question - especially if you don't have an email address linked to your login - definitely either subscribe to the follow-up comments or check back after while. I'm for the people!) :)

St. Jude/Finding My Feet Meet-up Race FAQs:
(definitely going to need to find a
better way to word this in the future.)

1. I am NOT a runner. Is it really possible for me to train for and run a half marathon in six months?

First, I hear you.

Second, I don't want to encourage or ask anyone to do anything that would be unadvisable by a doctor. If you're concerned about your health or readiness to prepare for a race like this, please consult your physician.

Third, it really is possible to go from non-runner to half marathon finisher in 6 months. Jeff Galloway is an Olympic athlete who founded the Galloway Marathon Training Program. (Ryan used his plan to train in 2010.) He has a half marathon training program here that is 17 weeks long. (I believe I will be using this program to train.) We are currently 24 weeks from race day.

If you are at all interested in running this race with us (and are new to running), I strongly encourage you to read through this plan. Jeff does not recommend that first-time half marathon participants try for a time goal. "Just do the first one to finish, running/walking at a comfortable training pace."

He also notes that to begin the 17-week program "you should have done a long run/walk within the past 2 weeks of at least 3 miles." And since we still have 7 weeks until we technically begin the training, you have plenty of time to work yourself up to that starting point.

2. I'm in! Where do I sign? How do I join the team? Great! You can sign up to run the race by following this link.

Your screen will look like this: (minus the random pink and black dot in the header - sorry.)

Photobucket

Just click "Register Now" and be on your way. You'll need to create and Active.com account to register, but that's free and just has to be done.

Once you've created your Active.com account, you'll see this screen. Choose the half (unless you're feeling lucky and want to do the marathon or want to run with your kiddos in the Family Race - fun!!) and keep going.

Photobucket
Now you get to give them all your information. Almost there.

When you get to the St. Jude Heroes section, indicate that you would like to fundraise as a hero, and choose "Team Particpant (joining a current Hero team)" from the drop down menu. Then enter "Finding My Feet" as the team name. (Should I come up with a different team name? It's technically not too late. Thoughts? Suggestions?)

Photobucket

Now checkout and you're registered!

Yes, this FAQ just became a tutorial. Am I too enabling?

3. So, there's a team page. Will I get my own fundraising page too? How does that work?

Each participant will get his or her own fundraising page, as well as access to the team's fundraising page. When I started this, I set a goal to raise $1000 as a team for the children of St. Jude. I don't know if that was too high or too low - this is my first time!

We will each individually raise support from our friends and family as we train to achieve our own personal fitness goals in this race. St. Jude is super helpful to provide fundraising tips, email forms and the ability to upload your address book to your fundraising page.

Anything you raise personally will also be counted toward the team's overall goal.


4. I'd love to join y'all but I can't. Can I still donate to the team, even if I'm not running?

YES!!! A resounding yes! I would love it if any and all of you would donate what you can to support the great work that St. Jude Research Hospital is doing! I'm counting on some of you to join me in running, some to join us with encouragement, and anyone who feels led to cheer us on by helping us meet our financial goal!

The best way to do this is to follow this link and click the donate button on the screen. A list of our donors will scroll on our team page and you can even leave a personal message with your donation.

Photobucket

The race button on my sidebar will also take you to our team's donation page.

I invite all of you to grab the button and put it on your own sidebars if you like!

Photobucket

5. I'm definitely interested, but I'm not quite ready to commit. How soon do I need to pull the trigger? How late is too late?

The official answer: "If a race has not sold out and spots are still available, online registration will remain open through 11:59 p.m. CT on Monday, November 28."

But if this is your first half marathon, I'd say the 17-weeks-out point (August 6th) is going to be your do-or-die moment in terms of commitment.

I plan to keep in communication with the team via some kind of newsletter as we go, so to be a part of that you'll need to get your name on the roster. :)

6. What's this newsletter business? How much will the team actually be training together?
I think once the team forms I'll have a better idea of how to lead it. (Laughing at myself right now for biting off the enormous responsibility of leading a team to run a half marathon when I've never actually run an organized race before. Talk about the blind leading the blind!) I'm actually hoping to get a few seasoned team members to join us and hopefully they will be able to help us as we go.

If everyone decides to take the Nike+ route (you can carry the chip in a special-made pouch on your shoelaces if you prefer not to run with Nike shoes), then that will be the obvious resource for training and communicating as a team. If not, we'll go a different route. (see what I did there? funny!)

7. We're not able to join the team but we'd like to keep up with your training. Are you planning to give occasional training/team updates on your blog?

Yes, of course! I think it will be fun!

(But don't worry, my blog has not become a "running blog" by any stretch, nor do I want you feel left out if you can't join us. If this goes well, it would definitely be fun to do other meet-ups!)

Okay, these are all of the questions I can remember for now. Does this cover your questions? Are there others? Are you so glad it's almost Friday?

Have a great night, friends!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO bummed that we live so far away (California) and won't be able to participate.

I started running about 8 months ago and have lost 50 pounds, with another 50 to go. Being 100 pounds overweight, running NEVER seemed like an option to me but I'm here to tell all those who thinks its impossible- YOU CAN DO IT!!! Start small. I did Couch 2 5K and it was rough at first (start out running 30 seconds every 3 minutes) but I never gave up and I'm happy to say that I've completed 7 5K's, a 6-mile race and just this past weekend, my first 10k!!! I am currently using Hal Higdon's half marathon training program and am registered to run my first half on November 6th!

I agree with what you said about not focusing on a pace- just focus on finishing because thats whats most important. When I'm running and I see people fly past me, I tell myself "You are only competing with yourself, no one else".

I would love to be a part of your group but since I'm so far away- I'll just have to look on from afar. I certainly hope there will be plenty of blog updates!!

Oh and the team name "Finding My Feet" is absolutely fitting!!

Unknown said...

My husband and I are seriously considering this. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it all though and after studying Galloways training program I have a quick question: In his daily schedule where it says "run 30 minutes" and then on saturdays "run 2 mile, 4 miles 11 MILES, etc" (ha!) is that actually running the whole time or does he want you to do that with the run/walk ratio that correlates to you MM? Hope that's not too confusing...I'm just wondering why we would run 11 miles in training if even at the race the most I would ever to do is about 4 minute run/1 minute walk based on my MM. Does that make sense? Thanks! :) We're praying and discussing but LOVE what you are doing here :) Thanks for inspiring us!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, I was trying to figure out how to sign up on the team! I am so excited about this--now, just to work on my explanation. "Oh yeah, I'm just leaving my kids for a weekend, and flying down to Memphis, alone, to run in a half marathon with people I've never met. That I found kn the Internet." I'm so glad my husband understands and supports my weird plans and ideas, because I'm pretty sure this is one of my best ones yet. I love the newsletter idea. Would love to connect with some other readers who may be traveling from afar, as I'm pretty nervous about the logistics of the day. I can't be the only crazy one making a long trek, am I????

Herrington Photography said...

Regarding the name - definitely keep it Finding my Feet. It's very fitting. :)

Raechel said...

The Stairs Family - wow, good for you!! I'm seriously impressed. Bummed you can't join us, but seriously impressed! Keep up the good work, girl!

Kendahl - Um, first: I'm in love with your blog! You're so talented! I need you to come run just so we can talk shop! :) Second, I haven't actually read the book, so I'm not super sure. I think he is outlining our walk/run ratio for our timed runs and our long runs in section 7. In section 3 he gives us a pace formula for timed runs and in section 4 we get the pace formula for long runs. Again, not 100% on this but that's how I'm reading it.
I'd love it if you and Bryan could join us! Where do y'all live?

Ashley - so glad you're tying to make this happen. And yes, you're right - the explanation sounds crazy, but a good crazy! Some folks are traveling from Atlanta and Arkansas and one person is considering a trip from Ontario!

I'm putting together a spreadsheet of my potential runners - can you email me with your city/state and your email address? (which will obviously come in the email, I realize...)

Anonymous said...

Ok Raechel - you've done it! You turned me into a supper club lover (our neighborhood club is going great!) and now a runner?! Ah. I just had my little babe 4 months ago and have struggled to lose those last 8 lbs, so this may be a great option. I've never "run" for fun or exercise, but you've inspired me. :)

I immediately found a couch to 5k guide after I read your first blog post, and today was my second run/walk. If I can make it to the 5K by the end of the 9-week plan, I really may consider the half with you guys. If I can talk my husband into driving 11 hours with me, that is. :)

Is there anyway to get on the email newsletter fun without registering? If so, it would be nice to have that inspiration and support to make it to the 5K. If so, my email is christy.knutson@gmail.com If not, I completely understand!

Thanks for creating such a fun blog community filled with things I love - the Lord, family, fabric, sewing, fabric, doula-friendly births - and did I mention fabric?

Happy Friday!

Raechel said...

Christy,
I'll add you to the list of confirmed and potential runners! I know of the couch 2 5K program but I've never done it. The first 2 weeks of the 1/2 marathon training (your final 2 weeks of c25k) only have 25-30 minute runs (with intervals of walking) and a 3 mile run and a 4 mile run. You should be good to join us if you want!

Can you please send me an email with your city/state, blog and twitter handle (if you have these). I'm trying to keep everyone straight and this info will definitely help!

Thanks!

Kerry said...

Hi there!! I think I want to do this! I have been wanting to run either a 1/2 marathon or full marathon. The only scary thing is I am not going to know anyone!!:O and I am not married yet... so I won't be bringing a hubby. Thanks!

Raechel said...

Kerry,
Email me your info (blog and twitter if you have them) so I can keep track of you!

Don't worry about coming alone - there are other girls coming without their husbands. And we'll do stuff together as a group (since we're signing up as Heros, we'll all go to the big pasta (carb load) lunch the day before and probably dinner out on race night.

Don't be shy!

R