17 August 2011

No, I'm not pregnant. Don't get too excited!


BUT, our family is about to grow by one person and we are so, so excited!

Our dear Audrey (1/2 of our team of co-nannies-extraordinaire) graduated from high school this past May and is planning to attend college here in Franklin. We've joked for years about her moving in and living in my sewing room or in the kids' clubhouse off the playroom, but I don't think either of us ever imagined that it would really, truly ever happen.

As her senior year progressed and we enjoyed her company in the evenings after she'd watched the kids so we could go out, and as she and Lizzie and I enjoyed our 1st-Wednesday-of-the-month dinner dates, this pie in the sky daydream of her living in our home started not only to be something we both really wanted - it started to make perfect sense.

Audrey comes from a fantastic family with amazing parents whom Ryan and I watch and admire probably more than they know. It would have been just fine for her to live at home and go to college without moving across town.

But, there's just something about embarking, isn't there? Something about that little extra step of independence. The experience of supporting yourself (somewhat), coming and going as you please (more or less), and figuring things out as you go. Even if college is right here in town (and boy is it a college worth sticking around for!), it's still good to have the experience of "going away to college". And that is what our girl is doing.

And we are beside ourselves with the honor of sharing a little corner of our house and our lives with her.

I am just so excited to have this smart, passionate, beautiful, amazing young woman in our home. Yes, she'll watch the kids from time to time (looking forward to being able to slip out with Ry occasionally after the kids are in bed for a run or a date), and she'll clean her own bathroom (1 less for me to do!) and sometimes help me with meals (looking forward to some fun cooking lessons!) and she has agreed to be in charge of emptying the dishwasher (one of my least favorite chores). But, I also get a front row seat to watch my lovely young friend experience this huge new part of life - and I believe that is what excites me the most.

Praying God's richest blessings on you, dear Audrey as you "go away" to college and call our house your home. I can't wait to see what this school year brings for all of us. We are blessed to call you a part of our family, sweet friend.

Photobucket

10 comments:

keight dukes said...

my dorm didnt have nearly as sweet of a meal plan or as cute floormates as audrey has! yay for everyone! did you tell her where the nanny cam is in there yet?

Amanda said...

How exciting! I lived with some good family friends for a semester while I was in school too. It was fun! And Keight's right, the meal plan is way better! :)

Tracy said...

you girls are going to have so much fun!

Anonymous said...

How awesome!! My mom has always believed that if there is an empty room in your house, someone you love or someone you can help should live in it. We almost never had just my family living at home. And now that I have a house, I guess I inherited that same belief because we have 2 people living with us! How special and fun for you all--happy wishes for smooth transitions all around! :)

Ashley said...

I have to say, my heart did skip a beat when you said "party of five"! Haha. So fun... for all of you!!!

Sarah-Anne said...

i'm only slightly jealous of your new houseguest! that is going to be such a fun arrangement. :)

Audrey said...

Smile.

So happy. Thank you times a million. And that one glamour beach shot did us right! Its come in so useful!

EveryChapter said...

How exciting!! We always wanted to do that with our nanny but our house was a pinch too little. :( How very fun and wonderful. (And thank you for very quickly expunging any pregnancy thoughts "cause that's EXACTLY where my head went)! :)

Aaron said...

We are so very grateful to have our baby girl staying with such a dear family! The apron string cutting is much easier knowing she is with a family who loves her well. Thank you, my friend.

Stephanie said...

My younger sister moved in with my family recently to go to college. I love it, and I think she does too. So far, at least. :) Hope it works well for you all.